EBANX 2020 - A year to remember
2020 was definitely a year out of the ordinary, everything and everyone needed to change and adapt. With the COVID-19 pandemic, many people had to face new realities, obtaining new consumption habits, and facing new challenges to reinvent themselves.
With EBANX this was no different, but even in hard times we keep working to deliver better solutions and reinvent the way of doing business in Latin America.
Stay on top of everything that happened at EBANX in 2020.
In January, EBANX launched a new way to connect global companies to Brazilian consumers, the EBANX GO: A digital account with a prepaid online card available for Brazilian consumers to make payments online and receive 5% of cashback. EBANX Merchants can participate in the cashback program without costs and get even closer to the Brazilian customers.
In the news:
- EBANX launches digital account and a prepaid card that offers 5% cashback - LABS News
- Brazilian fintech EBANX launches digital wallets for consumers - Reuters
- How international e-commerce is changing digital payments in Brazil - Payments Source
Uber and EBANX signed a partnership to provide new ways of topping up Uber Cash in Brazil: Boleto Bancario (a Brazilian popular voucher-based payment system), or bank transfer. These payment methods allow and empower consumers who don’t have a credit card to access Uber and pay conveniently and securely.
In the news:
- Uber and EBANX partner to provide new ways of topping up Uber Cash in Brazil - LABS News
EBANX launched EBANX Beep: An e-commerce platform that helped small businesses and autonomous workers hit by the crisis of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The main goal was to help businesses that had no cash flow during the quarantine season in the country by offering a feature that allowed the sale of vouchers for products and services. Today, the platform has technological tools for events, online and offline experiences, digital and retail goods, and allowing merchants to create their own virtual store.
Since April, with one single integration, international stores that sell to Brazil through Shopify were able to give their customers a seamless purchase experience with EBANX new Transparent Checkout. Unlike the previous checkout, in which the consumer was redirected to EBANX environment to complete the purchase, the transparent checkout keeps them on the same page providing a better shopping experience, increasing conversion rates and avoiding cart abandonments.
EBANX started to offer its international merchants the virtual debit card recently launched by the Brazilian bank Caixa Econômica Federal, increasing the availability of payment methods. Today, there are 116M active debit cards in Brazil, with 664B reais spent with this method in 2019, representing a huge opportunity for global merchants that want to increase their reach and sell more in the region.
EBANX conducted a research with more than 1,500 consumers about the influence of COVID-19 on international online shopping in Brazil, that has revealed a tendency to maintain or increase the average purchase frequency on ecommerce, amid the pandemic. The study also showed that Boleto Bancario is still a very important option for Brazilians who buy on ecommerce. Most Brazilians who paid for their international purchases with boleto before COVID-19 said they would not change the payment method during the pandemic (86%).
In the news:
- Brazilians to increase spendings on ecommerce after the pandemic - The Paypers
- E-commerce sales reach all-time high in Brazil - ZDNet
- Ecommerce market in Mexico indicates recovery after pandemic, EBANX study shows - Financial IT
EBANX announced the beginning of its operations in Uruguay. We already operate in Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador, in addition to Uruguay, offering card payments and local alternative payment methods for global businesses expanding to Latin America.
EBANX launched a logistics startup in the United States as part of a strategy to simplify international logistics to Brazil. With its new logistics arm Leve, EBANX is positioning itself as a strategic partner for retailers wanting to reach Latin markets and are not doing so due to the currently precarious experience consumers in those countries face when buying products from international e-commerce stores. Now, consumers and retailers alike can also follow the trajectory of the parcel through a tracking code, something that wasn't possible in the standard shipping option.
Also, ACI Worldwide had partnered with EBANX to enable local credit card usage and alternative payment methods for global e-commerce businesses in LATAM. This collaboration enabled the acceptance of the most relevant payment methods across Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay.
In the news:
- EBANX expands its checkout solution for Shopify in LATAM - The Paypers
- Cross-Border Payments Unicorn EBANX Launches Logistics Startup In The US - Forbes
- Registering a 115% Debit Card TPV Growth, EBANX Offers Debit Payment Solutions for All - Global Merchants in Brazil - Financial IT
- ACI Worldwide, EBANX drive local credit card usage and alternative payment methods in LATAM - The Paypers
At the chapter one of the Latin America Summit (EBANX annual event about business in the region), EBANX and Amazon have announced a partnership to enable Colombian consumers to pay for purchases within Amazon in their local currency and using local payment methods.
EBANX was named to CB Insights third annual Fintech 250, a prestigious list of emerging private companies working on groundbreaking financial technology. EBANX is in the Payments Processing & Networks category, as one of the six Brazilian companies on the list, and one of the eight Latin Americans
In the news:
- EBANX Named to the 2020 CB Insights Fintech 250 List of Fastest-Growing Fintech Startups - Financial IT
- Visa, EBANX Grow Partnership In Brazil - PYMNTS.com
- EBANX Amazon partnership announced at Latin America Summit - Tamebay
EBANX signs partnership with Tinder, the online meeting app, for Tinder subscription payments in Latin America. The partnership will bring additional payment solutions to the region, with an initial launch in Brazil and subsequent expansion to Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Chile and Peru.
In the news:
- Unicorn EBANX Makes Latin America Push as Virus Fuels Growth - Bloomberg
- Tinder partners with EBANX - Mobile Payments
- EBANX partners Nequi and Efecty to expand reach in Colombia - The Paypers
In November, Brazil's Central Bank launched a new instant payment method, known as Pix. Uber partnered with EBANX to be the exclusive payments processor for PIX, offering a new payment experience to millions of users.
In the news:
- Uber to accept fast payments in Brazil in partnership with EBANX - Reuters
- Uber Teams With EBANX On PIX Payments In Brazil - Pyments.com
- EBANX, PicPay partner to offer a new payment option for international ecommerce in Brazil - The Paypers
- EBANX, PicPay expand global reach for digital wallet users - Payments Source
In December, EBANX launched Beyond Borders study 2020/2021 - A content well-curated for global companies to understand the potential of LatAm for the e-commerce and its potential for 2021. Content curated from renowned public sources (from the World Bank, International Monetary Fund to GSMA open reports).
The Beyond Borders study 2020/2021 analyses the impacts of COVID-19 on international online purchases in four Latin American countries: Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, and Chile. This edition covered topics such as: Cross-border e-commerce growth, consumption behavior, new trends, the payments landscape, and more.
EBANX mission is to be the best payment provider in Latin America supporting global brands to grow their business in the region and giving Latin American consumers access to international products and services. Therefore, we are constantly evolving and working to increase our portfolio and to create the best solutions for our merchants. And we’re just getting started. Be on the lookout for new markets, new solutions, and many more payment methods that are coming in 2021.